Photo of Big Magic book by @rootandreach
I looove to travel. And over the past 5 years I’ve managed to board a lot of airplanes for both work and pleasure. One of my favourite parts of packing for a trip is carefully arranging my carry-on luggage and deciding what I’ll bring with me to pass the time in the air and at the gates.
On my flight to Paris I listened to the Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert audiobook. It was so inspiring and kind of reminded me of The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron (one of my all time fav books!). If you're a creative soul, this book is amazing. It's a phenomenal 12 week creativity workshop that helps build confidence and supports your inner artist! Even if you're not a professional artist, it's just a great book for the creative soul.
I wanted to share my pack list and favourite apps with you to help you enjoy the time in between your home and destination a little more (or vice versa) - because let's be honest, planes and trains aren't the coziest of spaces.
Here's My Essential Carry On List
1. Camera(s) + lenses because I’m not checking my Canon 5D Mark ii & iii. Hell nawww!
2. Phone for music + apps. I’m a sucker for nostalgia and love creating sensory memories. I’ll load new bands before a big trip and that particular music will remind the of that trip or time in my life. I love it!
3. Journal to write + dream. I journal everyday. Sometimes twice a day. I love documenting life - the highs, the mundane and the lows - all of it. My journal is also my little space to dream and set goals and scratch off the ones I complete!
4. Refillable Water Bottle to save money and plastic bottles/the planet.
5. Books to inspire + learn. I love to use Audible audiobooks for travel, but I’ll always bring 2 books with me to flip though and highlight/scribble through. This trip I’m travelling with a paper back of Inspiration by Dr. Wayne Dyer and The Great Work of Your Life by Stephen Cope. And always my copy of The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron.
6. Laptop to work + create. Editing images and writing blog posts!
7. Pashmina-the-size-of-a-blanket. Because planes are hot/cold/hot/cold etc. Black, in case I spill something.
8. My Celine sunglasses when I’m looking haggard. They make me feel cool/chic/put together - even when I’m the opposite. I bought these as a "end of 2015 wedding season" gift to myself for all of my hard work!
9. Tooth brush + toothpaste for obvious reasons.
Essential Apps for the Plane
Audible. I’m a freak for reading. At home, my nightstand is a total disaster/library. But I can’t bring my coveted books on the plane. So I let someone read to me through audio books. Problem solved.
Calm. This is a meditation app and eases anxiety and it makes getting to the Land of Nod a little easier if you’re trying to snooze.
VSCO Cam. I looove to edit my iPhone images on the airplane - especially on my way back from a destination. It makes the blues of leaving somewhere exotic a little less sad and allows me to relive the memories from the trip!
That’s all for now! Happy shooting (and travels)!